After reading the CB Insights 2021 Q3 report and seeing San Diego left out, we decided we needed our own report. Seriously CB? Top 6 city for venture capital in the US but you’d rather focus on Miami?!
So myself, Fred Grier, and Mike Krenn & Matt Kroe of Connect pulled data, including their recent Q3 report, and we present the following:
The stats of Q3 of 2021:
- $2.02B raised in 74 private venture fundings in Q3 alone from Connect Funding Airtable
- 6 companies raised more than $100M rounds mostly tech companies like Shield AI ($200M), Williot ($200M), Seismic ($170M), NetraDyne ($150M), Genomatica ($118M) and Lycia Therapeutics ($105M)
- $912M raised collectively in 6 IPOs from Neal’s SD Publics Spreadsheet
- Cue Health, Tyra Biosciences, Effector Therapeutics, Dermata Therapeutics, Erasca, Lumos Diagnostics
- $5.1B current combined current market cap of these six public companies
- 12 acquisitions, the largest of which was more than $5.5B of BioLengend
- Other notable acquisitions TakeLessons by Microsoft, Uqora, NewRocket, LawnLove, Suja Juice, Ecwid for $500M, Omniome for $800M
- 3 new venture funds: Seaside Equity of $160M, Harpoon Fund III of $120M, Moore Venture Partners Fund IV of $15M
- New companies opened SD offices: iBio (Texas-based) & Mainstay Medical (Ireland-based)
These are some massive numbers and growth. This was our yearly data just 2-3 years ago. Onward San Diego!